The EspaĆ±a park
The EspaĆ±a park is a public and urban park, established in San Jose, Costa Rica?s capital; this park is located between 7th and 9th avenue and 9th Street, and is surrounded by several historical sites and cultural interest, such as the National Cultural Center (CENAC), the National Insurance Institute, the Yellow House, The Metallic building, Paseo de las Damas and Morazan Park. In the beginning this park was a place for the Liquor Factory?s (currently CENAC) activities, in 1917 it was turned into La Concordia park and in 1920 renamed Parque EspaĆ±a. This small park has paved roads of bricks, there you can find various of tropical trees, which gives it a jungle air. It has several monuments, the most notable and well-known statue of Spanish conquistador Juan VĆ”squez de Coronado, located next to a fountain at the main entrance.
In 1963, the United States president at the time, John F. Kennedy, visited this park and planted a ceiba tree; that is still preserved today and can be seen in front of the Yellow House. Parque EspaĆ±a has many interesting and attractive monuments:
- Priest Cecilio UmaĆ±a monument (1794-1871)
- The Rafael Barroeta Baca Monument (1813-1880)
- Monument to Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919)
- Monument to Thomas Soley GĆ¼el (1875-1943)
- Juan VĆ”squez de Coronado monument (1523-1565)
- Monument to the catholic Isabel (1451-1504)
- Monument to Ricardo JimĆ©nez Oreamuno
He served as a Chaplain in the Costa Rica army, during the National Campaign in 1856-1857. When he died, he donated his fortune to charity, as the Hospital San Juan de Dios and the construction of public laundry rooms located in Barrio Amon. The bronze bust was created by sculptor Juan Ramon Bonilla, in 1918.
Rafael Barroeta Baca held various public offices, he was state councilor in 1870, minister during the TomĆ”s Guardia regime and Acting President of the Republic in 1874; He has been considered a social benefactor. The park has a bronze sculpture in his honor, a replica of that found in the General cemetery in San Jose; created by the artist Juan Ramon Bonilla, it was inaugurated in 1918.
He paid the construction of the Central American Court of Justice building, in Cartago (destroyed by the earthquake in 1910). Given this, it helped to get up again the Court, but now in San JosĆ© city (today it is The Yellow House). The bronze bust in his honor is the work of Juan Ramon Bonilla, in 1918.
Co-director of the newspaper El Imparcial, was a Member of Congress from 1920 to 1922, and Secretary of State for Finance and Trade, from 1923 to 1928. It was one of the creators of the National Insurance Institute. In 1974, when the fiftieth anniversary of the monopoly of insurance, his monument in bronze was created by the sculptor Olger Villegas Cruz.
Spanish conquistador, Honduras? and San Salvador?s mayor and founder of Cartago city. In advance was appointed and Governor of the province of Costa Rica, by King Philip II, and in his return trip to Spain drowned in a shipwreck. The bronze statue of three meters high was sculpted by the Spanish JosĆ© Antonio Marquez and donated by the Institute of Hispanic Culture of Madrid to this park. It was inaugurated on October 12, 1977.
She was Queen of Castile; the bronze bust, cast in Madrid, by I. A. Gonzalez was sculpted by Joseph PlaĆ±ez.
This bust was dedicated to the three times president of Costa Rica, Ricardo JimĆ©nez Oreamuno.
In the northwest corner of the park, a small kiosk designed by architect Jose Maria Barrantes, decorated with mosaics and tiles that recall scenes of Costa Rican life, such as the discovery of La Virgen de los Ćngeles or the Orosi Church.
Remember, if you visit San Jose city do not hesitate to give a tour of our urban parks, they keep a very important Costa Rica history.